I am not a huge fan of New Year’s Resolutions. They always seem to be good ideas that fail within a few months. On the other hand, I am a huge fan of taking advantage of the changing calendar for reassessment and re-alignment. When I was in high school, I did a little surfing on the Gulf Coast. One thing I learned was the importance of putting something (usually an ice chest) on the beach to mark where I walked in the water. You see, the pull of the current and the act of chasing the next wave always pulled me away from the starting point. This happened so subtly that I was rarely aware of how far I had drifted. To keep my bearings, or to avoid drifting too far, I had to watch the marker and adjust my position in the water. The coming of a new year gives us all a chance to evaluate our lives and make adjustments so we can keep our bearings throughout the chaos of life.The coming of a new year gives us all a chance to evaluate our lives and make adjustments so we can keep our bearings throughout the chaos of life. Click To Tweet
As we approach 2018, in what areas have you drifted? Where does your life require re-alignment?
1. Are you deepening relationships with people who need to know Christ?
2. Who are your mentoring, leading into a deeper relationship with Christ?
3. From whom are YOU learning to love Christ more?
4. What are you doing to advance the gospel to the unreached around the world?
5. When have you last asked God about his missionary call on your life? Have you asked God to allow you to serve him overseas? In an unreached area of this country?
6. Are you nurturing relationships with people from other countries?
7. Do you have any friends who are different from you — politically, ethnically, religiously?
8. How does your use of Social Media advance the gospel? Are there any ways that your use of Social Media might not advance the gospel?
9. Are you raising your children with a missionary vision or a stay at home vision?
10. Is there room in your family calendar to be involved in missionary activities?
These ten questions can serve as a source of re-alignment. Most of them are easy to answer, but the real question is: Do you have the courage to make the adjustments in your life to make 2018 a missionary year?Do you have the courage to make the adjustments in your life to make 2018 a missionary year? Click To Tweet
By the way – one other question that probably needs to be asked is:
Do you have a passport? Is it up-to-date?
If not, are you really open to follow God no matter where he leads?Here is the link from the USPS for getting a passport. Might be a great way to start 2018.
Happy New Year!