Church Planting requires constant preparation for the future. And this is good. But when preparing for the future, a Biblical thing to do is look back. As the Psalmist exhorts, we are to remember God’s faithfulness and mighty works of old. When considering the future, God’s people must keep one eye on the past.
“I will remember the deeds of the LORD; yes I will remember your wonders of old. I will ponder all your work, and meditate on your mighty deeds” (Ps. 77:11-12).
What better time of the year to look back then now? In their December update, Hub Church of Boston does just this. Below you will find “a year in review” listing their goals and dreams from a year ago and God’s hand of faithfulness during. Take a moment and thank God for His work in Boston through Hub Church and commit to pray for 2016. Ultimately, allow the testimony of this church plant to force you to press pause and ponder the faithfulness of God in your life in 2015. All Praise be unto Him!
At the beginning of 2015, we prayerfully set out to accomplish the following goals:
- Launch two Missional Families:
- In September, God allowed us to commission those two Missional Families: One oriented around bringing the grace and truth of Jesus to young professionals in the city and neighborhood, and the other around the same for the residents of a city-owned, elderly-living complex. (You can read about our Missional Families here)
- Launch a weekly Worship Gathering:
- After 2 years of gathering in homes and various third-spaces, God has given us an incredibly strategic space to begin meeting for weekly, public worship gatherings. (You can read about our Sunday Gatherings here)
- Launch a second generation of Discipleship Huddles:
- In the last few months, God has blessed us with the ability to begin a women’s Huddle, in which ladies at various stages in their relationship with Jesus are experiencing incredible transformation as they represent Christ in their spheres of influence.
- Host Mission Teams to serve our Neighbors and Neighborhood:
- Throughout 2015 God connected us to churches from Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas, who each sent teams of people to serve our neighborhood by prayer walking, landscaping, hosting movie nights, and cleaning up trash, among other things.
Thankful for God’s Goodness & Grace!
In His goodness and grace God did things this year for which we didn’t even plan:
- Serve Southie:
- From passing out free hot chocolate and water to keep neighbors hydrated and sober during St Patrick’s Day, to hosting 3 Summer Movie Nights, a Family-Friendly Street Festival booth and passing out Halloween candy to over 500 kids and families, God gave us the privilege of sharing the free, unencumbered love of Jesus to literally thousands of our neighbors this year!
- Covenant Members:
- God blessed us with the honor of welcoming in 16 Covenant Members to our church family this year. (You can read more about our beliefs here)
Partner with us in 2016!
We’re praying that 2016 would be an even bigger year than 2015 in terms of starting new Missional Families, serving more of our neighborhood and city with the grace and truth of Jesus, seeing our Sunday Gathering grow, and even raising up Elders. But we need your help!
- The Bible is clear that God hears and answers the prayers of His people (Proverbs 15:29, James 5:16, 1 Peter 3:12). Would you “pray earnestly” with us this year “that the Lord of the harvest would raise up and send out laborers into his harvest?” (Matthew 9:38) If so, contact us here so we can add you to our prayer updates!